24/7 Water Removal specializes in water damage restoration throughout the Los Angeles and Ventura County areas. No matter what the cause, we are ready with quick response to resolve all your water restoration needs. Flooding and plumbing accidents happen without notice, and water damage begins to set in almost immediately after. It is vitally important to have a reliable company that you can turn to at the drop of a hat.
Rainfall is certainly not frequent in the Los Angeles area, but in flood-prone areas like Santa Clarita Valley, rising water levels can happen at any time, and you could find yourself the victim of flood damage. When this happens, contact a water damage repair specialist, who will begin the restoration process with cleanup, following this set of guidelines.
- Safety First: Power to the structure should be shut off before re-entering the area. A careful check to make sure that no outside animals have found their way inside should also be made.
- Protection is Key: As floodwater breaches the structure, it carries with it contaminants that it has picked up along the way, such as bacteria, animal droppings and various everyday chemicals. Respirators, gloves and protective eyewear should be utilized while on the premises.
- Know When to Hold, and When to Fold: Any items – such as mattresses, pillows, carpets, etc. – that have absorbed contaminated water should be discarded immediately.
- Clean Thoroughly: Pressure wash walls and other large porous surfaces with heavy-duty cleaners and apply disinfecting agents for extra protection.
- Reclaim Salvageable Items: For clothes and other fabrics that have absorbed contaminated water, machine wash in hot water with detergent should be sufficient for removing contamination and stains.
- Dry Before Moving Forward: Dry the structure quickly to prevent rotting and mold growth. Attempting to rebuild over areas with excessive moisture will only add to damage and restoration costs down the road.
Water Damage Restoration Procedure
According to the Los Angeles Sewer System Management Plan, sewer overflows in the city are among the lowest in California and the United States, but accidents do happen, and when they do, it is vitally important to make sure your home or business is sterilized, sanitized, deodorized and thoroughly dried so you can get your life back on track.
For fast, effective water damage restoration, the latest tools and equipment are required, and a professional water restoration technician must follow a series of careful water damage restoration procedure to ensure that they are being used properly.
- Meters: Technicians will use meters for detecting areas of excessive moisture, the source of the moisture and how much it has affected the overall structure. Meters come in different variations, some of which are non-invasive and use sensors to detect moisture levels. Others probe the surface of the structure, and give a more accurate display of moisture content.
- Air Movers: Air movers are specialized, high-powered fans designed for surface drying from water damage.
- Air Scrubbers: During the water damage restoration process, large amounts of mold, fungi and bacteria can get released into the air. With the use of air scrubbers, these harmful organisms are captured, clearing the air of contaminants and making a healthier workspace.
- Dehumidifiers: Dehumidifiers are a key part in structural drying, doing most of the heavy lifting by reducing large amounts of moisture in a short amount of time to help speed up the process.
- Rescue Mats: Hardwood floors can be restored if addressed quickly, and rescue mates are the most effective way to salvage the floor with speedy drying ability.
- Odor Control: Ozone generators and thermal foggers can be employed to help purify the air and eliminate order by dispersing microscopic air-clearing oxidation and disinfecting agents into the air.
Water Damage Prevention
Water damage can cause stress and discomfort to the family and lost money for businesses. The slightest bit of structural damage from water can also leave one’s home or business susceptible to intruders. This is an especially troubling situation for home and business owners in cities like Compton, which is ranked fourth in Los Angeles County in terms of property crime.
To avoid the risk of burglary and further structural damage, find a water damage specialist as soon as possible to help get your home or business back to the way it was before. Here are some areas and scenarios most vulnerable to water damage that could lead to increased risk of home intrusion and other damage, and ways to maximize water damage prevention.
- Windows and Doors: Replacing old and damaged caulk around window and door frames could save you thousands in water damage costs and reduce the risk of burglary, 33% of which is from unforced entry.
- Water Heaters: It is recommended that you replace a water heater that is more than 10 years old, as the danger of bursting increases with age. If corrosion or leaking is present, strongly consider replacing your water heater much sooner. This could save you flooding damage costs.
- Basement: Clean downspouts and ensure they divert water a minimum of ten feet from the foundation.
- Bathroom: Wrap toilet paper around pipes to find wet spots that could identify hidden leaks. Caulk faucets, vanities and tub bases as well.
- Exterior Walls: Patch areas of concern and apply caulk at siding/foundation joints. Keep foliage at least a foot away from the house to prevent storm water damage.